The Bath Covered Bridge is a historic covered bridge over the Ammonoosuc River off US 302 and NH 10 in Bath, New Hampshire. Built-in 1832, it is one of the state’s oldest surviving covered bridges. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976, and underwent a major rehabilitation in the 2010s. The Bath Covered Bridge is located on the west side of the village center of Bath, carrying West Bath Road over the Ammonoosuc River. The bridge has a total length of over 390 feet (120 m) and a roadbed that is just over 22 feet (6.7 m) wide. The bridge consists of four spans supported by Burr trusses, resting on stone piers and abutments, and is finished with vertical board siding. When originally built, it had only three spans, but when the bridge was raised in the 1920s, a third pier was added, as were laminated arches to strengthen the bridge.
The bridge is the fifth to stand on this site, where a bridge has stood since at least 1794. That bridge was washed away by flooding in 1806, as were subsequent bridges in 1820 and 1826. The fourth bridge was destroyed by fire in 1830. The bridge serves a primarily rural residential population and sees relatively little traffic. The bridge was closed to traffic in October 2012 for safety, structural, and cosmetic reasons. After 21 months and $3 million in repairs, it re-opened in August 2014.
- “National Register Information System”. National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- “NRHP nomination for Bath Covered Bridge”. National Park Service. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- Tracy, Paula (13 August 2014). “Longest covered bridge in NH set to reopen Thursday”. WMUR9. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- Hookway, Bob (27 Jan 2013). “Bath covered bridge closes for restoration”. New Hampshire Union Leader. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?