Home Remedies for Dog Hair Loss
Just like how we suffer from hair loss, dogs too have this problem! Hair loss in the course of shedding is usual for dogs. For example, German shepherds and Bernese mountain dogs will shed more hair than wheaten terriers and a few types of Spaniels. Also, all the dogs will shed more during the longer days beginning in the summer than they will during the shorter days starting in the winter. This is due to the seasonal shedding rotations related to variations in light. However, when extreme shedding occurs, especially to the point of baldness, dog hair loss can be a signal of deeper issues.
Symptoms of Dog Hair Loss
Hair loss in dogs is more often than not accompanied by other symptoms like itching and skin irritation. A dog’s hair loss indication can be the effect of numerous medical problems including mange, mites, ticks or dermatitis. Home remedies for treating dog hair loss are safe to try to provide momentary relief, but a definite opinion of the reasons should be taken from a vet. Mentioned below are some of the home remedies you can try to get rid of the problem of hair shedding.
Tips of Home Remedies for Dog Hair Loss
1. One of the best ways to reduce excessive shedding in dogs is to start with a healthy diet. Feed your dog with a homemade mix of fully-cooked rice, cooked vegetables and boiled chicken. This home food remedy may reduce the allergies caused by food to your dog and helps in reducing the hair fall.
2. Goldenseal is an excellent natural treatment for dog hair loss as long as it is not overdone. Make a weak mixture of goldenseal tea and apply it to the affected area. Goldenseal is powerful, so be sure not to make the tea too strong.
3. Another home remedy for hair shedding in dogs is to mix a small amount of flaxseed oil in your dog’s food. Flaxseed oil contains high amounts of Omega 3, an excellent natural treatment for dog hair loss. After a few weeks you would see the change in your dog’s hair fall. It is good for other health benefits too.
4. Olive oil is a good home remedy to apply on dog’s coat and skin. It will help moisturize as well as pacify any pain caused by severe itching. Another benefit of olive oil is that it will choke mites, if those fleas are the cause of dog’s hair loss. Olive oil is said to give the dog a fine and healthy coat with an amazing shine.
5. Lemon juice has natural antibacterial properties that can be used to treat excessive hair shedding in dogs. Introduce a slice of lemon in warm water and leave for five hours. Strain afterward and apply the lemon juice mixture as a rinse or as a spot treatment.
6. An additional home remedy to follow is to pat your dog in the backyard after the bath and then brush him down. By this way, all the unwanted hair on the dog’s coat is removed. Regular baths encourage loose hair to fall out in the tub (or outside) instead of on your furniture. However over-bathing can cause dry skin, which causes fur to fall out.