3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for surface
2 sticks chilled unsalted butter, cut into small, equal (about 1/2 -inch) pieces, plus more, melted, for brushing
1 cup chilled buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 425°￼
2. Pulse baking powder, salt, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and flour in a food processor. ￼
3. Add chilled butter and pulse until pieces of butter are the size of a pea.
4. Transferred to a large bowl and add buttermilk. Use a fork to blend.
5. Knead mixture a few times in bowl. Dough should be sticky; be sure not to overwork the dough.
–Place dough on a clean, floured surface and press down and until dough is about 1 inch thick.
–Sprinkle flour on the top of the dough.
6. Cut the dough with a glass or a biscuit cutter; the dough should be enough for 9-12 biscuits￼
7. Place biscuits on a lightly greased baking sheet and brush tops with melted butter.
8. Place in preheated oven reduce temperature to 400° ￼and bake for 10-15 minutes. biscuits should be golden￼￼￼￼ brown.
*This dough can be mixed by hand and with a pastry cutter. You can also make drop biscuits with this dough.